Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vegan day 5 - eating out

Hello blog readers :) Day 5 already, and feeling better each day. Seriously, I do! I find it amusing that as I was preparing for this adventure in Veganism I was worried about making it one full week and I'm almost at one week and ready and excited for week 2!

In fact, earlier today at lunch with my friend (I'll give those details later), she mentioned something about, "It's only a month" and I wanted to respond, "Maybe not".

Ok, so today was my first attempt at eating out. We went to Leona's (a chain in Chicago) which I knew had lots of vegetarian options but wasn't sure about the vegan options. Luckily my friend is a vegetarian so there weren't too many of the odd questions about "why" or "how" since I'm not quite ready for those yet. The waitress was really helpful too and knew what items were and were not vegan and how to slightly change other items to be vegan. So we got some bruchetta (with regular bread not garlic) and I had the vegan burger with mushrooms and avocado. OMG delicious!!!! I had one bite of the bun and was worried there was egg in it so I just had the burger and it was heavenly. The interesting thing is, typically I leave Leona's feeling overly stuffed and needing to take a nap. Not that we didn't have a bunch of food, but for some reason I felt just full.

I think I lucked out by going to Leona's, as the waitress knew what I needed to stay away from, gave my some options and then asked me some questions herself. It was a good experience (and a fantastic lunch with my friend and her son...can't wait to get together again soon!).

Aside from Leona's, I went to Whole Foods to pick up a few more items for next week and I missed my green smoothie so I bought some kale and spinach and cilantro as well as a fresh pineapple so I could make a couple of smoothies. I just had one and am very happy (plus the smoothie will give me some extra energy for my 75 minutes of Vinyasa in a bit).

What else...another good run this morning, a 5k so just a bit farther than yesterday. It was chilly and breezy so the start of the run was a bit rough, but once I got going I again felt super. I did pick up some clif builder bars at Whole Foods today since a Vegan friend suggested eating one before a long run and I have a few of those coming up this month.

As I mentioned above it's a double workout day since yoga is in a bit. After that I'll come home and finish up dinner...that's right finish up, I have made seitan! It is so easy, the only down thing is it takes about an hour, but that's just simmering and stirring every 10 minutes or so. Why did no one tell me how easy it is to make seitan? Seriously simple people...try it! Of course the recipe is in my go to book that I keep mentioning (Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food). I'm also going to make the avocado panini's that are mentioned in the book...very excited about the meal for sure.

Ok need to get ready for yoga and pick up panko breadcrumbs (the one thing I forgot earlier today).

No comments:

Post a Comment