Sunday, August 16, 2009

Renting a UHaul in the city

Yesterday I finished moving from Albany Park to Noble Square. I failed to write a blog but that was due to inability to be near a computer. This will have to be a short blog with a longer one later today coming.

Renting a UHaul in the city is an interesting experience. I go online to make my reservations and both this & last year was assigned a UHaul rental place (I had no choice). Last year I parked in a parking lot with my car to pick up the UHaul. When I returned I was told that the UHaul people had called a tow truck to move my car because the parking lot was for customers who were NOT renting trucks to park. No one mentioned that of course.

This year I picked up at a different UHaul rental place. Little tiny shop way up north. Learning from last year, I was dropped off rather than driving myself. In this tiny shop, they were only helping one person at a time. Luckily, I was there first and let in just before 9am. The contract, and discussions and the normal was done...then the kicker. I was given a map and told where to go to pick up the truck. Nope, they don't bring it to you, or help you get there, they give you a map and say "here's where you pick up the truck and bring it back."

So I walked a good half mile to pick up the truck and the truck number on my key was slightly different from the truck that the key worked for (on the key ring it said "I" on the truck it said "J")

This truck did work well, and we managed to fit almost everything into it. Luckily a friend had a SUV and we put half of a hutch in the SUV.

We were packed, unloaded at the storage unit and at the new apartment within 3 hours, if not a bit less. I really thought it would have taken us less time, but I guess I didn't realize how much furniture I have (especially since some of it is now in storage).

So yes, UHaul experiences are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment