Thursday, August 20, 2009

Perception of distance

I find it amusing that depending on where I am in the city, distance makes a difference. When in the loop, most people do not feel comfortable going beyond a 2-3 block radius for lunch. Mind you there are lots of lunch options within a 2-3 block radius, but that is besides the point.

I work in the southern part of the loop, I have a friend who works in River North, we decided to meet in the middle at the Merchandise Mart, a walk, el ride, or combined walk & el ride for both of us, but easy to meet at. When I asked co-workers what they thought the best way for me to go there, the response was take a cab. I decided not to do that. I walked.

It is approximately 8 blocks from my building to the Merchandise Mart, according to gmaps that is 0.8 miles (though I have always been told that there are 8 Chicago city blocks to a mile, but whatever). 8 blocks, well beyond the 2-3 block radius of most. It took me about 12-15 minutes to get there, passing many slower walkers as I went, and missing a few lights, but still, not a bad walk. I had a lovely lunch, great time chatting, and then decided I'd jump on the el to go back. To grab the el meant waiting for the el and then going 2 stops (based on the direction that the brownline goes, it would not have been 2 stops going TO the Mart as the brownline goes in one direction around the loop...crazy system I know.)

I waited approximately 7 minutes for my train and then it took about 3 minutes to get to my stop...it would have taken almost as long to walk. Lesson learned, when going 8 blocks, just walk it...unless it's pouring of -20 with a 30 mph wind :)

Also, the Mart has some nice options and is not quite as busy as other places downtown, nice option for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment