Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First day of my internship

I have been known to bite off more than I can chew. My Mother has told me for years that I burn the candle at both ends and in the middle, I just don't know how to do nothing. With that in mind, my internship starts tonight. What internship? I am in my final year of graduate school to become a counselor/therapist and I need to have a practicum & internship that equals 720 hours of so (10 hours a week in the fall, 15 in the spring & summer). I start tonight at a hospital where I have no idea what I will be doing. I know that I will be there from 7-10 or 11 tonight after working my normal job from 9-6...I have a sammich to eat on the el so I can have dinner.

Anyway, this is more emotional than I thought it was going to be. I tried grad school in 2002 and didn't make it a semester (due to many, many factors). I've now been in grad school for 2 years (wow really, two years?) and tonight I start to really use that knowledge to become a therapist. I'm nervous, excited, scared, happy, all sorts of emotions together.

I feel like it's the first day of school more so than the first day at a new job. The population I'm going to be working with is extreme (I'm interning in a hospital) and it's short term (they can only be there 21 days max). I'll be doing this 10 hours a week for the next 16 weeks, get a break, then the following 28 weeks I'll be doing this 15 hours a week. I also have to go to class once a week this fall, and then weird times in the spring and summer, but I'll be done.

In February and in April I have exams to take (Feb is for school, April is to get my certification to actually BE a licensed therapist!)

I can't believe it's finally happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment