Thursday, September 3, 2009

Truth behind my stress

I tend to think of myself as an optimist, except at the beginning of a challenge. I enjoy taking on challenges, but sometimes it becomes too much.

Starting graduate school in August/September 2007, August 2010 didn't seem that far away and the courseload seemed doable. In November, 2008 I discovered there isn't much assistance for the practicum & internship that I would need to find and complete. The site I am interning at really is a great opportunity for me, but I worry if it was the best choice.

I had my first night at the site on Tuesday and my first night of class last night. It all sort of hit me hard last night.

700 hours

I need 700 hours in order to graduate, and I need to complete these 700 hours before August 2010. So let's just say I have a full 11 months for this task, that is 48 weeks. That's 14.58 hours per week. In class last night my advisor suggested working 7 hours a week and building up to 10 since the requirement for the first semester is 100 hours.

That's right kids, my school recommends 100 hours for the first 16 weeks and then 600 hours for the next 28 weeks (provided you only intern while school is in session). So lets say I follow the 100 and 600 rule, that means the winter/spring & summer sessions I'd be putting in 21.4 hours a week? HELL to the NO.

After the first two weeks, I'm just going to work 14 hours a week and not take a break until I'm done (with the possible exception of Christmas). Worst case is, next summer if I'm short a few hours, I take a day off of my paid job and intern for 8 additional hours. Any paid holiday I could do this too (not Thanksgiving, but maybe the day after Thanksgiving!)

In addition to these 700 hours, there are requirements and assignments of recording & transcribing, plus reading a book on ethics and teaching the class about the chapter...oh and meeting with the internship supervisor weekly as well as the school advisor 4 times a semester.

Hello...I work FULL TIME and am going to be interning 14 hours a week, plus the 3 hours a week I'm in class, and now you want me there another 4 hours? So 17 hours a week for 16 weeks, plus 4 additional hours at school is 276 hours, plus my homework time and commuting time...oh and a case study and all sorts of other fun.

I told JW last night that I'm going to need a routine and not stress about it...I also told him I'm either going to lose a lot of weight, or gain a little. If I can get my running in before work I should be on the losing side (since I know I'm not going to have time to eat much). I don't know, I'll make it through, but needed to vent a bit. At least I was able to go for a run this morning, but I found out that you are supposed to wait 48-72 hours before exercising after donating blood (which I did at 3pm yesterday)...was faint after a mile and a half, but at least I went out there and ran, then walked :) I'll make it through :)

No comments:

Post a Comment