Monday, September 7, 2009

Planning a party for someone else

I've planned lots of parties, and I'm usually happy with the results. This party was different, this was a bachelorette party for my friend. A while back I had asked her what she wanted...then asked her for her dream party. I tried doing a combo of the two.

Plan
Adult "tea"
Mixed with a small bridal shower
Bride's place 6-8:45
Meeting up with the bachelor party at 9

Actual
Close to an adult "tea"
Presents that resembled a naughty shower
Bride's place 7-9
Met up with the bachelor party at 9:15

It went well, a few small things here and there that bothered me but went ok. The bride seemed happy, and that's what matters to me most.

Menu
I went on a cheese & sausage tasting spree last weekend (since those were two things the bride wanted).
CHEESE
Vermont extra sharp cheddar (Cabot Hunter's, my fav)
Vermont raw milk cheddar (Grafton)
British aged cheddar (don't recall the name)
California goat cheddar (delicious)
Italian swiss (again can't remember the name)
SAUSAGE
Elk summer sausage (thanks to Sean for bringing this back from Montana!)
Italian soprasata (I can't spell)
Californian salt cured sausage
Italian hot dry sausage
CRACKERS
Rice crackers (for the vegan)
Pumpkin seed cheddar crackers (Doctor Cracker)
Wheat crackers
Water crackers
French bread
VEGGIES
Orange Pepper
Cucumber
Carrots
Celery
DIPS
Hummus
Onion dip
Home made bruschetta
OTHER HOME MADE STUFF
Crostini with bruschetta
Mac and cheese bites (OMG yum)
Cupcakes with vanilla frosting
Cupcakes with chocolate frosting
Brownies
2 Boob Cakes (for the joint party)
"Rum" punch (Mailbu, Absolute, Tequilla, Triple Sec, Pineapple Soda, OJ, maraschino cherry juice)

Yup, I prepped after I did my internship, plus decorated the brides house. Luckily I had made the sweets the night before (and the mac and cheese, just needed to turn them into bites). I did not ice the cupcakes, thankfully Beth & Nancy arrived and iced those for me. For 8 ladies, we ate most of what I had put out on the table. I made sure there were also some nuts for the Vegan guest...she seemed ok about it, but I did warn her about the food I swear!

I had asked the ladies to bring Hard Cider for the bride, she has quite a bit left over and she seemed pleased about that. We chatted it up, the bride opened presents and showed them all, then we jumped in a car and a cab and headed to Delilah's to meet up with the boys.

I love Delilah's and had never gone up to the party room before. Now I love it more. It's AWESOME up there, it's perfect for a small party. I had a shot of whiskey right away then enjoyed some beer the rest of the night. We took some pictures, played some games, and just had a nice couple of hours there. The bride and groom left and headed over to NEO while I stayed at Delilah's for a bit.

There were two things that upset me.
1 - the person who said they were going to drive from the bride's place to Delilah's (when I ordered a cab) changed her mind about driving to Delilah's and decided to go home...but never told me so I never ordered a second cab. It worked out ok because someone else was debating about driving, so it worked out.

2 - I had spent a lot of time perfecting the boob cake. I had made 3 in total and brought 2 of them to the party. They were destroyed by the groom. He did apologize to me in the morning, but I was still quite upset about it. Yes, I made the cake for he and the bride (per the bride's request). But I was a bit hurt when I saw boob cake number one on the floor and boob cake number two all over the groom's hands...especially when the bride was trying to feed some to her groom. He told me he thought it was a novelty cake and he could do what he wanted with it. I'm mostly over it.

Considering the variety of people we had at this party, I think it went really well. Plus, the bride was happy...that's what matters most.

This week I have only one more day of internship, a full day with the bride on Friday, and then Saturday is the wedding (so two full days). Sunday starts football, so I hope to be doing NOTHING.

After that party, we did go the next day to Taste of Polonia, one of my favorite fests...we didn't stay long which was sad, but we had some good beer, food and liquour plus listed to a great Cover Band sing in Polish.

Lots of fun things to observe at the fest, but for now I'm going to go and relax a bit more before heading into work in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment