Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 16 of 40 days of yoga, meditation, etc....

Week 3 has started off with a bang...sort of. I tried waking up yesterday morning at 5am in order to meditate and practice (15 & 45)....but no, that did not happen. So I meditated a little after 6 and did my practice after work. Meditating for 15 minutes is a challenge for me. Yesterday morning I was not staying present...last night I was distracted a bit less...this morning I could feel my back, neck and shoulders moving around...oh and sitting still for 15 minutes while focusing on your breath and staying present....holy hell is that hard.

I am working very hard on staying present and being with my breath...taking things as they come, going with the flow...that is a challenge for me as well...being non-reactive. I guess I did not realize that I have a temper deep down. I have passive aggressive thoughts and actually do want to snap...for a long time I've just put all of that deep down and let it build up until I explode...but now I am trying to stick with the moment...and I like to react and over-react to things. I really was not aware of the reacting thing...over-reacting yes, but typically that was when I was at my boiling point (or so I thought).

The yoga practice this week is fantastic. 45 minutes, my flow is really strong, my tree looks great...side plank is becoming easier and easier...it's all just flowing nicely for me right now (2 days into week 3).

I did go for a run with the dog last night, and that was super as well. I hope to go for another run tomorrow and then I do have a race on Sunday. Once these 40 days are up, I am going to have to find a way to continue to incorporate my yoga practice and my runs since both work so well together, and they both make me happy.

Lastly is the "diet" portion. This week is another week of eating whole foods...but being aware of when I crave things and sticking with the feeling. Yesterday, at Whole Foods, I craved raw almonds and bought them...and ate some on my way home. It was hunger not emotion...but after an incident yesterday with a neighbor, I did crave comfort food...but did not indulge in it. I acknowledged it, and realized it was a comfort food craving due to a fight or flight response, and I knew that I did not need that food...it was just a response. The craving went away. The raw cashews were hunger, and since I had not eaten that much earlier in the day, and had a run to get in before dinner...I figured that was a good protein and fat and calorie choice. As was today's lunch of a salad + soba noodle salad (with scallions, snap peas, red pepper and carrots, NO CUCUMBERS this time, mixing it up).

I am quite pleased with myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment