Friday, August 6, 2010

Day one - Lollapalooza

Today was a great day. This is the 3rd year in a row that I've gone to Lolla. I really enjoy going and spending time with the bf and meeting up with other friends who are there.

We decided to ride our bikes this year. Not all three days, but at least for today. The bike valet was great and I really appreciate the fact that the Active Transportation Alliance does this! Entrance was great and easy this year, a north entrance! The bf and I rode down last night to get our 3 day pass bracelets so easy entry.

We started off by going to Jukebox the Ghost, a band that reminds me of Ben Folds Five...nice. We then looked around a bit. Purchased our lolla gear and over to Green Street. Renewed my Active Transportation Alliance membership and we were able to hear American Bang a little. Then we headed to the kids stage and were able to see Rocknoceros. They were fun.

Next was get some food since neither of us had eaten...we opted for a cheeseburger today. Then over to the South stages and met up with a few groups of friends. Devo, who put on a great show. We stayed until Whip It was played, then headed back north. About mid range, we stopped to listen to Semi Precious Weapons and that was followed by the one show I was really looking forward to seeing...Neon Trees. OMG I was excited for that show. I was pretty close and once the show started realized I could have been closer. It was great though.

It was now time to go further north. For those of you who don't know, Grant Park is about a mile long, and we do a lot of walking back and forth. So yes, further north now for The Black Keys and for Jimmy Cliff. Wow, just wow. The bf and I just really relaxed during most of that. We hadn't sat much and with the riding and walking, a bit of relaxation was in order.

Once we were about halfway through the Jimmy Cliff set, we headed back south again. We made it there to hear Chromeo for a few songs, but mostly just observed all the people around us. Then it was time...Lady Gaga! She puts on an incredible show, really, really incredible. We did have to leave a bit early since the bike valet was closing at 1030 and 300 bikes were able to be valeted there, so yes, left slightly early.

On the walk back north, we passed Perry's stage and were able to hear 2ManyDJs spin and then passed by The Strokes but mostly we were just walking towards our bikes.

The ride home was mostly non-eventful. Of course, we were at our block, I moved over the lane to make the left, and I had plenty of time. A car came flying up behind me and beeped at me. The car was in a big rush to get to the red light. That freaked me out a little, but thankfully we were at our street. So then we got home and just relaxed.

I love this weekend. The bf and I consider it our "staycation" each year. It's just fantastic. We really get to enjoy the city and each other, so yay :)

Now, it's time for bed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment