Saturday, August 14, 2010

Returning to training

It's funny to think about my life. One of the things I had mentioned recently was how I wanted to redefine myself and identify the things that I enjoy. Earlier this week an advertisement came up for a half marathon on Halloween. I have not been running consistently in a while and I even wondered if I was still passionate about it. The moment I saw that half marathon I decided I'm running it.

Funny how was I have a goal in mind, nothing will hold me back. It's been in the 90s with a heat index in the 100s and I've been going running. My body is slightly stiff and sore at the end of the run, and the next day, but I need to walk a lot at my job including doing stairs. By the end of the day, my body doesn't hurt anymore.

Week Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
1 n/a n/a 3 m 3m+ st rest 4 xt
2 st 3m 4m 3m+ st rest 4 xt
3 st 4m 3m 3.5m+ st rest 5 xt
4 st 3m 4m 4m+st rest 6 xt
5 4m st 4m 3m+st 5m rest rest
6 st 4m 3m 4.5m rest 8m xt
7 st 4.5m 3m 4.5m+st rest 10m xt
8 st 5m 3m 4m+st rest 8m xt
9 st 5m 5m rest 12m rest 5m?
10 hike 4m 5m 4m+st rest 10m xt
11 st 5m 3m 5m+st rest 8m xt
12 st 4m 3m 2m rest rest Half Marathon

Interesting how I have two weddings that I'm going to during the middle of training. Also keep in mind that in addition to this, I walk 1.45 miles home every weekday, and on the weekends I ride my bike around town and to work (when working the weekends).

I am trying to get up earlier in the morning to complete my runs, but I am having a difficult time doing that. Since my job is approximately one mile from the lakefront, it's quite easy to run to the lake, run around there for a bit and return to work to get my bag and then walk home. I did try walking home as my warm-up one day and then running, that was not so good. Running first and then the walk home as a cool down is much better, especially in this heat.

I do think it's interesting that I have not run a long distance since 2008. I ran the Soldier Field 10 Miler, Memorial Day Weekend, 2008. I pretty much stopped training when I started Graduate School in September 2007, but I guess I was able to train a bit for the 10 miler. Looking back on my racing schedule since I started Graduate School, it's pretty sad.

2006
March - Wacky 5k
April - Shamrock Shuffle 8k
May - Bike the Drive
June - Run for the Zoo 10k
July - Race to Taste 5k
July - Danskin Sprint Triathlon
October - Bucktown 5k
October - Chicago Marathon
November - Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 10k

2007 (before Graduate School) - pretty much a race per month
January - Boston Prep 16 miler
March - Wacky 5k
March - Shamrock Shuffle 8k
April - Spirit of St Louis Half Marathon
April - Ravenswood 5k
June - Subaru Sprint Triathlon
July - Nike Rock n Roll 8k
August - Chicago Half Marathon
September - Bucktown 5k
October - Comer Kids 5k
November - Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 10k
December - Jingle Bell 5k

2008 was a good year for racing too...but I had a few life changes go on so running helped distract me:
January - Derry 16 miler
March - Wacky 5k
March - Shamrock Shuffle 8k
April - NEIU 5k
April - Wrigley 5k
April - Ravenswood 5k
May - Soldier Field 10 miler
August - Nike Human Race 10k
October - Bucktown 5k
November - Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 5k

2009 is when it fell apart between the accident and school being too tough:
March - Wacky 5k
March - Shamrock Shuffle 8k
October - Bucktown 5k
November - Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 5k

2010 I did not race. I was working full time+, interning 20 hours a week, and in school. No time for racing. So now I have time again. I am working my 40 hours a week and walking home each day, but I needed more. I ride my bike on the weekends and do DVDs at home, but needed more. Why not just go for the half? So that is what I'm doing...and I think it's going to be a fun journey and hope you enjoy me discussing it on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment