Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The body speaks, but when to listen?

One thing about being in training is I feel I need to listen to my body more. When I get a "craving" I need to be able to identify if the body is "craving" something or is my mind or heart "wanting" something.

This morning was supposed to be a light 3 mile run. Instead it was a more difficult 3.25 mile run with a sprint or two in there. I need to start doing interval training, body is telling me. I was also supposed to just run today, but instead, I lifted when I got home. I had the energy and my body wanted me to do it. I feel great because of it!

Prior to the lifting this evening though, I had a craving for a glass of red wine. I walked home, lifted, had some water...still craving red wine. I have had two sips so far and my body is reacting, in a happy manor.

So I must need more antioxidants? I'm going to investigate more, but that's my initial gut instinct. Also, I realize I have not had enough fat today so need to have a heavier fat dinner (about 700 calories short too) so a glass of wine and some pizza (and veggies) makes sense to me.

Tomorrow morning is another run...I'll be sure to state how I feel on that one.

Other things to pay attention to. My back, my hips, and my knee. While running my knee sometimes aches a little. I had surgery on this knee in 1999 and every once and a while it acts up. Once I stop running it goes away. Need to keep paying attention to that. My back, upper back is achy but not when running. Lower back (where I had surgery in April) is starting to act up at the beginning of the run, but then goes away within 5 minutes. Continue to monitor. Hips are sore...which I think is just running and not stretching enough...so need to start doing yoga a couple of times a week.

I hope that paying attention, listening and responding to the needs of my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment