Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getting out of bed in the morning, tricks and tips

This morning I did not want to get out of bed.
I knew that I needed to get up.
I knew that I needed to go for a run.
I knew that at 6:00am it would be the coolest temperatures all day for me to run.
I knew that I would feel better if I got up.

I was all curled up in bed, cuddling with the bf and the dog jumped up to cuddle too. My legs were achy from all the miles that I've been putting on them recently, my tummy was still full from the Indian food feast I had the night before (gave up on dieting), I started to convince myself that running after work would be a better idea because it might be a stressful day...

Then I sat up.

The true secret to getting out of bed in the morning is sitting up. Once you sit up you realize that you're really not as tired as you think you are, and that you are ready to start the day. It will also identify if you are sick and need to return to bed. So the secret to getting up and out of bed in the morning is...sitting up.

Once I sat up and realized I needed to stretch a bit and just go running, it was easy for me to get out of bed. I got dressed and used the couch to crack my back (that has been getting a bit worse recently). Then it was out the door into the 95% humidity and 75 degree pre-sunrise morning. I decided to go further south than usual rather than run south and then more north...this was decided since the wind was coming out of the south and I wanted that resistance in the beginning of the run, not the end.

Mile 1 I went faster than I've been running recently, 9:43 I want to say. Mile 2 I struggled a bit, I'll blame the wind as I was at 10:18 I think. Mile 3 was a weird one because I had just hit mile 2 later than I had planned, thinking that I should have hit it blocks before I did. I began worrying if I had gone far enough or if I was going to need to add extra blocks on at the end. Mile 3 was 10:08 I want to say. Then came Mile 4. The Indian Feast started to make itself known and at the same time, my body wanted to push and feel the strength. I took that as a sign to push myself more than I have been. I now realized that I was going to be really close to the 4 mile mark but perhaps slightly short. I sprinted that last few blocks only to have to turn right before my house for half a block to get the full 4 miles. This of course is only if the garmin was 100% accurate, but I wanted to hear that beep and not short myself. Mile 4 was 9:40 I think. Over all my 4 miles was 39:53 so I may be a bit off with my guesses above, but just shave it off of mile 4 if I am.

Tonight, since this work day is turning interesting, I believe I will walk home and also do some strength. If the bf is out running I may do yoga instead...but I need something other than the run. Tomorrow morning is another run, then off for Thursday and long run Friday this week. Mixing things up to keep them interesting :)

There will be a post in the near future that will not be tagged for half marathon training and will discuss expectations and realizations of my career change and place of work choice...but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment