Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Re-identifying my likes

During this final semester and final class in Graduate School, I took Grief Counseling. It's an interesting course and I've learned so much information out about myself. One of the things that I've determined I need to do is redefine who I am and what I like.

So much of my life I have worn a mask, done things for other people or because I thought other people wanted me to do them. Now I realize (at only age 30) that I need to do what I like. Yes I enjoy making other people happy, but since I cannot control other people, I can only control myself, that is where my focus needs to be.

To begin this project (so to speak) I have started to do things that I used to enjoy doing. Things that I may have started for someone else, and now need to see if I like doing it for me. So far I have discovered that yes, these are good things for me.

Sunday, per the pictures I posted, we went on a 30 mile bike ride (with breaks in between). I want to go on another 30 miler this weekend, but alas, we have other plans at the moment. The ride was good and it felt great and I was all smiles.

Today, I went for a morning run. I have not been able to go running recently, no motivation, desire, or much enjoyment of it. This morning though, not the case. My brother told me last night he wants to go for a 5 mile run the morning of his wedding reception with me. I haven't run 5 miles since my bike accident almost a year and a half ago. No time like the present to start it.

I'm having fun figuring out my likes and dislikes again. So far, no dislikes, just likes :)

Ok, off to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment