Monday, September 9, 2013

Day 6 of no grains!

This is not going to sound believable but I feel better. I feel lighter and have more energy (though last night I was super tired and slept for about 9 hours, but that had to do with the weekend not the no grains). My knee feels better, I ran faster today than I have all summer, and I overcame a HUGE  groups of challenges this weekend...going out to dinner with a group, a wedding AND opening day of football party! I learned a bunch.

I learned that you cannot assume anything on a menu. When a menu says, "tilapia sauteed with garlic & butter served over spinach" what they might mean is "tilapia fried with a coating that may or may not contain bread served over spinach with a side of pasta". I pushed the pasta off of my plate immediately. As for the fish, the waitress avoided our table so I never found out what the coating was. I simply removed it and ate the inside. Lesson #1 learned.

The wedding. I thought that I had eaten a good amount of food prior to going. I had steak & eggs in the morning and a green smoothie as we headed out to the wedding. I was wrong :( Even the fresh veggies had a dressing on them so I didn't eat them. Luckily my husband came up with the idea of me to eat the toppings of a pizza slice so that I didn't kill people. Lesson #2 learned, always be prepared.

Football season has started and I love me some football. With my friends, football means beer and snacks and pasties (a meat & potato pie) and pizza and hot dogs and the list goes on and on. I was already taking a break from alcohol since September 2 so I had a couple of extra days practice on that front. I was lucky that my sister-in-law provided me with some walnuts, pickles, olives and fruit to munch on as a snack. I made a pork chile verde that was delicious and hardly any leftovers (a huge hit). So no real lessons needed to be learned from this event, but I showed myself that I can enjoy a party without grains and without alcohol.

So how am I feeling overall? Pretty incredible. As I said, I ran faster today and my knee didn't hurt as much. I'm not running as far as I want to but that has nothing to do with grains. I'm finding all sorts of delicious recipes to make and I'm excited about them. I went overboard at the Farmers Market yesterday and love that I did. I even found a CSA that we can join...had some of the fresh eggs yesterday morning and OMG I forgot how amazing they taste. Plus the fact that you don't refrigerate them. I also purchased organic milk to add to my coffee/drink and it tasted like cream.

Oh and yesterday I didn't even want dinner! I did have 2 (small) bowls of chile verde during the game but that's never stopped me before! I'm amazed.

So here is what I ate this weekend and today.
Saturday:
Breakfast was steak & eggs (scrambled) with some cheese, coffee
Lunch was a green smoothie (random leafy greens, 1/2 an avocado, 4 strawberries, 1 piece of pineapple)
Snacks/dinner was the top of a slice of pizza, some nuts and when I got home from the wedding a few pieces of leftover steak

Sunday:
Breakfast: A kind bar and then a little bit later 1 fresh scrambled egg, coffee
Lunch: chile verde, walnuts, 2 bites of the inside of a pasty (meat, onion & potato)
Snacks: homemade kale chips

Monday:
Breakfast: tomatoes, zucchini and cheese mixed in the 2 scrambled eggs. Coffee
Lunch: salad with raw zucchini, tomatoes, feta cheese, walnuts, roasted tomatoes and I made a dressing of grapeseed oil and apple cider vinegar
Dinner: I'm slow cooking pork with corriander, garlic, onions, and spices

***GROSS STUFF***
I didn't realize how terrible my poop was! Pooping is almost an awesome experience now. It happens a couple of times a day and is very easy. I know it's weird but that's the biggest change in 6 days, my poop and pooping schedule.

NO MORE GROSS STUFF
I'm reading Wheat Belly and also reading a bunch of blogs. This article was very interesting.

OK now to get through the rest of the work day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment