Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 16 of grainfree living

I am so bad to keeping up with this on a daily basis, but at least I'm able to write about it every few days.

I am no longer referring to this as a 30 day challenge, I feel as though this is going to be a lifestyle that I choose to stay with (unlike veganism which was a 30 day challenge). 

Why? Because I feel amazing, I look pretty amazing for being on this just 2 weeks, and I have a new appreciation for food.

I had to travel for work the past couple of days and that was eye opening. My sister-in-law (who is allergic to dairy) and I discussed creating a chain restaurant that specializes in foods for people with allergies. It's ridiculous how difficult it can be. Tuesday I was at an event that included lunch...which was a pasta lunch. Luckily there was a salad...oh but it was just romaine lettuce with croutons on it...ok avoid those...dressing was not going to work for me either. Luckily I found a piece of chicken to have on my sad plate of lettuce...oh and the tiramisu that they had out on the table for dessert...please don't have that out there just sitting there. The table I was with looked at me like I was crazy.

Lets move on to dinner while traveling. I went to another event that included dinner...pulled pork sandwiches. And I had no way of knowing what ingredients were in the bbq sauce so I opted out of free dinner and went to buy some dinner. I got really excited for some blackened mahi mahi with broccoli and potato...I asked the waitress, "is there any wheat in the seasoning" she answered she didn't think so but would check...along comes another waitress, "um we have flour in the seasoning"...great...what about the salmon? Floured...ok so burger with no bun it was. My initial waitress was so afraid of me (I was being super nice) she had just never met someone with a wheat allergy (and yes that is not diagnosed but I find it easier to say I'm allergic rather than I don't eat it...especially in this little town). When she brought me my burger (which was delicious) it looked so sad. They gave me the one pickle and one slice of lettuce and one slice of tomato (really?) and no side. She asked me if I could eat the homemade chips that they make and I looked at her to be like, "you would need to tell me that" I told her I probably could but not to worry about it.

Moving onto breakfast the next morning...luckily I was able to grab some strawberries from the fruit plate...and ate the nuts that I brought along. Lunch? More pasta so I left and ate my cheese curds and jerky (no corn syrup or wheat added) and nuts.

When I got home I made myself a nice dinner to celebrate that I stuck with this! 

My skin looks really good. I'm still having some weird itchy spots but that could be so many different things. I'm looking forward to seeing the allergist to get her opinion and some testing done.

I do have more energy overall and I know when I'm hungry and when I'm not. 

Oh and I had my bloodwork tested...everything looks great...so don't believe it when they say you can't eat eggs it makes your cholesterol too high...just balance it with veggies!

I am excited to try a few recipes this weekend that use different types of flour (garbanzo bean and almond for example). I'm making us some pizza and some pumpkin spice muffins. Both of which I hope are delicious and I'm able to eat more of in the future.

I also purchased some brown rice pasta which I told the husband will be a side dish not a main dish.

He is loving the changes he is having with his body. He's not going 100% grain free but he is going to keep wheat away as best as he can. He loves tortilla chips too much to be 100% grain free...but he's been doing really good most of the time with me. I will have weight numbers tomorrow but I'm not thinking it's a big number since I didn't do a normal workout since Saturday...but I did do lots of walking and yard work in between Saturday and now...but today I'm looking forward to my workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment