Thursday, November 15, 2012

Training with Nike on Soldier Field

I'm going to take a break from my running posts to give you some stories and images from last night.

A friend of mine is a Nike Ambassador and she let me know about this event last night. "NTC at Soldier Field" with a "Train with Us" theme. It was a free event that stated you were going to workout on Soldier Field and then there would be a fashion show afterwards.

I quickly signed up for the event and even though I have been fighting being sick for over a week, I knew I was going to go to this. My warm-up was walking from the el to the stadium, a good mile and a half. Then finding gate 0 was difficult for me as well as the 10 other women I found circling the stadium. I was lucky enough to meet this lovely woman (Clarissa you are awesome) and we stuck together until the workout.

After circling the stadium, we found the entrance and checked in. We got there about 6:20, 5 minutes after things opened up. I love a free t-shirt, and a good free t-shirt (dri-fit) makes me even happier. What was a bit odd was waiting around for 45 minutes in the concourse area...with the wind coming in making it colder (I'd say high 30s without the wind, low 30s with). Clarissa and I walked around a bit, and she knew some people there but I was solo.

I got really excited to see WGN's Frank Holland, but didn't want to be "that girl" who asked for his photo...but then the people who knew Clarissa, the more I think about it, looked familiar too...so maybe I just don't know my Chicago celebs very well.

Fast forward to 7pm when we were able to run onto the field...with a fog machine going! Who was in front of me running? You guessed it, Mr. Frank Holland (I swear I was not stalking you).

 (Here we are about to run onto the field) 
(Running onto the field)

 (Getting the jumbo-tron and Frank Holland in a picture with me)


 After getting onto the field we were working out. A warm up, lots of plyo, and fast feet. It was difficult to hear and see from where I was, and there were a bunch of people around me who were not working up, just taking up space on the field...and I admit there were a few moments that I stopped working out to take some of these pictures, but overall I liked the workout. I felt good and no longer sick.

(Brittney Payton was our MC)

 (On the 30 yard line)
 (Where I was working out)
(Post workout "glow")


(Post workout glow, showing my new free t-shirt off)

After the workout we had a surprise guest...Earl Bennett! #80 for the Chicago Bears came out and chatted with us.





We were then asked to leave the field and head up to the United Club for the fashion show. I was ready to go so I tried to find my way out. Funny thing was, they were not expecting people wanting to leave (there was free food and booze, I can understand why). So I asked for help and got multiple directions. Eventually I went down the elevator and when it opened I was in a fancy suite area! I asked the security lady for help and she thought I was "so cute" since I really didn't want to get into trouble. Have you ever been into the hidden areas of Soldier Field? It's pretty freaking awesome and posh.

I was directed to go through a bunch of different doorways and eventually I'd be back at gear check. I did as I was told and ran into some people who looked like VIPs and just smiled and said hello. I really could have played around back there, but the last thing I wanted was to get in trouble and get banned from Soldier Field or something crazy...so I found my way back to gear check and was on my way.

This was a really awesome event and I feel really lucky to have been a part of it. There must have been only 150-200 people max. I'm really lucky to not only live in a city as awesome as Chicago, but to be able to participate in these types of events and actually participate in them is amazing.

Going solo reminded me that I'm able to do pretty much anything...and that every once and a while you need to go at something solo...you can meet some really interesting people that way, and I got that feeling of independence that feels really great.

(I am a very happy lady)

No comments:

Post a Comment