Monday, September 27, 2010

Bad at updating this past week

It appears I neglected to post regarding two of my runs this past week.

Wednesday run was only supposed to be 3, but I felt good so went just a tiny bit farther, 3.25. It was a good run, but still more humid than a September run "should" be.

On Thursday, my hammy's were dead. I don't know why, but they just were so tight I didn't even know if I could do the stairs at work. I rested that day rather than push too much.

Saturday was my 10 miler. This was a big deal to me since when I ran long distance more frequently a couple of years ago, 10 miles was my favorite distance to run. The weather was more September like. 55 degrees or so, north or northwest wind 10-15 mph, sunny, and just that feel of fall running. I opted to head to the lakefront but ran from my apartment so that takes a good 2 miles. I ran north into the wind for 3 miles, just wanting to hit my turn point. I was not as fast as I wanted to be, but I just kept going. There were lots of people out on the lake, and many of them passed me, but it was ok. I hit my turn point and then had the wind at my back...or so I thought. For most of the 3 miles it felt at my back, but every once and a while it was in my face. Then I started heading west, and the wind was back. I just kept going, I no longer cared about my pace, I just wanted to keep going and get home.

Once I got home, some how I was short about 3 blocks, so I kept going until my garmin told me I was at 10 miles. Perhaps I ran a bit further, which explains the 10:22 pace, but even if I was just at 10, I finished the 10.

I felt out of shape.

How you ask? 10:22 pace made me feel out of shape. My body was fine with the distance. My breathing was fine with the distance. I just felt out of shape. I realize, I ran 10 miles. Most people never run 10 miles. I remember why this was my favorite distance, but I have a ways to go before it becomes my favorite distance again.

The good news is, I have more opportunities to run this distance. I am officially signed up for the half marathon on October 31 which is good.

I am also signed up for an important 10k this Saturday. The AIDS Run & Walk 10k in Chicago...I'm still looking for sponsors, so if you can, please donate before Saturday right here:

http://afc.aidschicago.org/netcommunity/flobear100


Tomorrow morning 5 miles is planned, so I will do my best to write up about that at some point tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment