Friday, October 11, 2013

No longer a challenge

I realized today that I've been grain free for 5.5 weeks now (38 days). I realize that I've done 30 and 40 day challenges in the past, but this isn't a challenge, this is now a change. I ended up giving away some of the pasta that we had in the house as well as the brand new 5 pound bag of flour. I know that most of the people in my life are not going to switch to the way that my husband and I are eating now, so might as well give them the stuff we aren't eating.

I did a weigh in yesterday. According to the scale I originally weighed myself on, I'm down 8 pounds. I'm not really trying that hard. I mean I do work out 4-6 days a week but I eat when I'm hungry and I'm still having a glass of wine a couple of times a week. So being 8 pounds down while still enjoying life is pretty impressive.

I do think that since I've reintroduced "snacking" my weight loss is slowing down, but I'm still at a pound a week which is pretty good. Snacking may be good though since it's possible I wasn't eating enough before. The flaxseed crackers were delicious but I only need 4 of them with some cheese and I'm good...as opposed to in the past where I could eat an entire box of crackers. I'm also very excited about making paleo apple cider donuts. I was going to cheat next week when my parents are in town and get an apple cider donut, but then a recipe popped up and I ordered what I needed to make them. I don't plan on eating sweets all the time, but apple cider donuts are just too delicious.

We've been playing around with different dinners this week. Lots of squash. Spaghetti squash for an Asian inspired dish...acorn squash with chicken sausage one night and with ribs another night...pumpkin as the fruit for my green smoothie...butternut squash soup (that was a lunch). Wow I didn't realize how many different types of squash I had this week until I just wrote it all out. I guess I'm in love with squash right now.

I'm just rambling now, so I will say that I'm excited about this next step in adjusting to a grain free life. There will always be exceptions (some beans here or there, rice on occasion) but mostly primal eating (my husband's co-worker said that his wife is paleo and he is primal...he still has dairy...so I like that...I'm primal)

No comments:

Post a Comment