Thursday, May 8, 2014

Impatience and stupidity, a correlation?

This morning on my drive into work I had some observations and potential realizations. The more impatient we are I believe the more stupid things we do. Especially while driving. Thinking back to Monday I believe that I was guilty of this as well...but I'll return to that new thought.

On my drive into work I have to cross a railroad crossing. It's a very active RR crossing since the commuter train and freight trains use the line. Luckily I rarely hit a freight train on my way into work, but on the way home is another story (and was Monday). This morning the commuter train had just gone past so there was not going to be another train for a few minutes. There was a car in front of me and a bus in front of the car. As the bus approached the train crossing, the hazards went on...the driver of the car in front of me kind of began a mini freak out and tried to get around the bus (two lane road) but couldn't since it's a busy Thursday morning. She began to inch her way over and, of course, the bus was done with the check. The driver then over corrects back into the lane she was in and can't decide where to go. The bus then changes lanes making it easier for the car to decide to stay in the lane in front of me...to which she blocks an intersection with a big sign saying not to block said intersection.

The rest of the drive to work was normal, no more stupid things observed, but it made me think about how when we are impatient we tend to do things that are kind of stupid. Doesn't everyone know that a bus will stop at a RR crossing, open it's doors, then continue on? I can't be alone on thinking that's common knowledge. As for the blocking of the intersection, I can understand ignoring the sign when there are no cars waiting to come out, I think I was just highly aware of this car's behavior.

As for my own example from Monday night. Same RR crossing but headed home, the lights started and I considered going quickly over the RR tracks but thought better of it. I hoped it was a commuter train, but looked to my right and there was a freight train. I quickly turned off of the road I was on and onto the service road next to the tracks, thinking if I go one block I could out run the train. I missed a stop sign :( I saw it too late, slammed on my breaks but I was already through it. Then in the other direction was a commuter train! So I had to go further down, which is fine since I live in that direction, it's just a different way to go home than I usually do. So I go as far west as I typically go, head north and hit a stop light right before the tracks! "Come on, turn green, turn green, turn green" I get over the tracks and continue to look back for about a half a mile, and the RR lights don't come on. Either I successfully outran the freight train, or the train was just stopped by where I was and the lights came on for the commuter train.

I was do impatient that I missed a stop sign and couldn't wait to see if we were waiting for a freight train or a commuter train. It's possible that I could have actually gotten home faster if I had just waited a minute longer.

I find that I'm becoming much more patient with things and slowing down a bit (for me, still way too fast for many people). I am trying to be more zen too...but when you've worked a long day and you leave late and you hit a stopping point and you want dinner...yes I could see having some stupidity due to impatience. But first thing in the morning???

No comments:

Post a Comment