Monday, May 19, 2014

Adapting to new workouts

I'm 16 weeks pregnant today (yay) and my body is changing rapidly. I won't go into those boring details since there are about 50 million books, blogs and websites to discuss that. I will talk about how difficult it can be to adapting to a new workout.

Since I moved to Chicago in 2003 I have been a runner. It started in August of 2003 in terms of any sort of consistency. I've taken breaks here and there, but usually would still fit in a run here or there. I tried sticking with running for my pregnancy, but in the beginning was told maybe not to. I switched to elliptical and kept up with cycling and yoga (in the beginning). After about 8 weeks I added back in some jogging. I kept my heart rate under 150 (supposed to be 140 oh well). But over the past week or so, it just doesn't feel right. I don't know if it's because of my bump or because my TicTac is now the size of an avocado or what else it could be...I only know that jogging doesn't feel right. It made me a little sad, but I will have to adjust.

I know that some people run through their entire pregnancy, and great for them! I will not be among that group of people. I will be among the thousands who walk a bunch. Especially in the summer, I can see myself doing a bunch of walks. I do need to increase my yoga though, at least do it 1-2 times a week. I'd like to try this new yoga studio that has prenatal yoga, but right now I'm good with my DVD at home.

I miss the studio I was going to, but my balance is already pretty off and I don't feel comfortable with my belly and my balance so not going there until post baby.

It's just hard that I'm already making so many changes and we're only 16 weeks pregnant. I was thinking earlier today about how I get so much done around the house on my late days (I work 11-7:30 one day a week) but the rest of the week (8-4:30) I come home and relax typically. Of course I should be taking advantage of that for the time being since that will be changing in about 24 weeks.

Holy cow, 24 weeks...that's it!

So yes, I guess it's time to just accept that things are going to be changing, and it's ok, with my workouts I just need to stay active, that's the key :)

No comments:

Post a Comment