Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wedding stress - for non-traditional weddings

My wedding is a little over 5 months away. Yesterday and today I have become a huge stress ball over everything. I'm looking up "proper wording" for invitations. I'm happy that my Matron of Honor got her dress ordered, but now I'm worried that my Maid of Honor isn't ordering hers for 2 more weeks...and will that be early enough? Plus, has she called the place that she wants to order it from to see if they'll even order it or do I need to bring her to the place I originally found?

I mean, come on...these are grown women. My Maid of Honor knows how to do these things, so why am I stressed about it? As for the invitations, I'm inviting mostly family and a few friends (unfortunately not everyone that I wish that I could, but budget and size of venue, etc) so no matter what the wording, no one is going to be insulted or shocked or anything...so why (again) am I so worried that I need to word it perfectly?

I know that I have a tendency of being a perfectionist, but I've really been working on that for a while and I really had hoped that I wouldn't be paranoid about little things like wording...but I am.

Part of why I am writing this is in hope that in the future, someone else who is in this situation in the future will find the work I have done and not have to go through it herself.

Concern 1 - just inviting a limited group of people to a reception - not the ceremony...do you include that?

After going back and forth on this, I think no...we just say we want them to celebrate with us, but don't mention that there is a "private ceremony"...some people might be bothered by not getting invited, even though no one really is...so I say just go for the "you're invited to the party" or something much more elegant that says the same thing.

Concern 2 - heavy passed hors'dourves not a sit-down dinner

Now I will admit that there is no way anyone in their right mind will leave this party hungry, but I have been told to give people a heads up that there is no sit-down dinner. This is already listed on the website that we made, however, my Matron of Honor reminded me today she keeps forgetting that we have a website. Therefore, I can't just think that other people will remember to check the website.

Remember, you will invite family members (most likely) and some will be older. Just because you and your friends understand the concept of the internet and non-traditional things...make the assumption that no one does...even your friends.

The other thing, no matter how close you are with your friends, this wedding is not as important to them as it is to you. I keep having to remind myself that it's my fiance and I that are planning this and need to be happy with the decisions. My best friend is not remembering every little detail nor should I expect her to...just because she's my Maid of Honor doesn't mean that she should drop everything (5 months before the wedding...but the day before the wedding I think it could be acceptable).

This is where I am at right now. Hopefully some of my ranting will help someone else in the future. It has helped me for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment