Wednesday, April 30, 2014

1st time IUI - success

I realized that I kept looking for success stories from people who had a Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and I didn't really find many stories. There were a couple of posts in the chat forums but I found it difficult to find a real story.

Here is a real story of a first attempt at an IUI that we went natural with.

January 28, 2014 we had an appointment for a consultation for fertility help. We had tried for a year, and nothing. My husband and I both had a plethora of tests done to which we were told, it could be a few things...you're borderline so we'll call it unexplained infertility.

That's right...there's something going on, but we're not sure, so let's call it unexplained.

January 28, 2014 was cycle day 1 (CD1) so the doctor didn't want to start me on any medication since we were just going in for a consultation. After meeting with the doctor, discussing the different options, we had a mountain of paperwork to sign. We weren't even sure if we were going to start treatment/help right away, but when they have you there, both of you there, you just sign a bunch of papers.

We were told that we could do a natural cycle for that month, no drugs, no ultrasounds, nothing really extra...just start peeing on an Ovulation Predictor Kit (OPK) around CD10 and once it turns, call them. I was like clockwork and on CD13 I got a positive. It was a Sunday and the center was closed so on CD14 we called first thing in the morning. At 9am we were at the center and my husband went into a room and did what he needed to do. An hour later we were in a room with a nurse with the processed baby making juice. We had 32.7 million swimmers and after they jumped into the pool (or were forced in I should say), we hung out for about 20 minutes. We were told to have some fun the next morning as well just to add to the numbers.

One week later I went in for bloodwork and my progesterone was around 9.4. They said that for natural that wasn't bad, but they wanted to put me on progesterone to increase the likelihood of a sticky bean. Let me tell you how not fun progesterone suppositories are. Twice a day...it gave me killer PMS...or perhaps it was the fact that I had a blastocyte bouncing around that gave me killer PMS or the embryo that decided to implant that gave me killer PMS. Regardless, killer...super moody, crampy, crying, sore and big boobies...but then it happened...CD28.

On February 24 I pee'd on a stick and I thought that there was a very faint second line. My husband said it might be there but not to get my hopes up. I decided I would call the center and go in for a bloodtest. Only I couldn't wait until they opened and I pee'd on a different stick and that one there was a positive...I couldn't believe it! I texted my husband and he told me to still call the center and get confirmation from the doctor before we got too excited. I went and at 3:30pm I got the call...I was pregnant! HCG was at 65 and progesterone up to 21. I had to go back on CD30 (February 26)...went in there and the HCG went up to 138 and progesterone up to 26.2. I had to go back on CD32 (February 28) and my HCG went to 325 (progesterone went back down to 21.6 but doctor wasn't worried).

So there you have it...you can have a natural IUI, first attempt, and it can work. Now I'm waiting until Week 6 Day 1 to have our first ultrasound (March 11)...this one is done at the fertility center...my first official OB appointment is March 31 when I will be 9 weeks...of course this blog post won't get posted until after that, so there may be a few updates made to this initial post, but overall that's the scoop. So yes ladies, it can happen :)

(Originally written: March 3, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment