Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Prepping to be Vegan for 30 days

A while ago I decided I was going to do a new kind of cleanse/detox this year. Typically I do a weekend or a week of eating pretty much a raw food diet of only fruit and veggies and only drinking water and tea. I give up coffee for the month switching to green tea. I try to give up booze as well for the month.

This year I decided to change things up and go vegan for an entire month. I may end up switching that goal to being vegetarian, but I am going to try really hard to be vegan for a month.

For those of you who don't know what being vegan means, it is no animal product or bi-product. I will not eat meat, fish, chicken, dairy or eggs. I have started to prepare myself for the change by incorporating a green smoothie into my daily meals (breakfast). The green smoothie movement (introduced to me by a co-worker) allows the body to get the nutrients it needs from dark leafy greens in a way that the body can absorb it best (liquid). So yesterday was a kale, parsley, mango, banana, strawberry smoothie and today was a chard, pear and mint smoothie. For more info on that go here. I'm really enjoying these smoothies and the smoothies are helping clean things out after all the holiday food I ate.

I'm also researching different recipes and will practice cooking a few things this week as well so that I'm well prepared. I'm excited to try new recipes. A friend of mine recommended my breakfast (at least on work days) be Vega which I have in chocolate and chai. On the weekends I plan to make some tofu scrambles or some waffles or french toast recipes that I have...or oatmeal with soy or almond milk (mmmm).

I'm also planning on increasing the number of times per week that I attend a yoga class for the month. I feel that all of these things will help me to balance out my body, mind and soul.

I hope to blog this journey so that others can learn from what I do right and what I do not so right...and if for some reason I don't make it 30 days as a vegan, I will be vegetarian. To help me stick with it, I will be making the pledge here.

No comments:

Post a Comment