Monday, January 28, 2013

Flashbacks of high school

Not the good flashbacks either. I was a part of something recently that made me wonder how it is we survived high school. This situation also brought up that how some times high school type things just seem to slap you in a the face randomly and it sucks. High school was rough, some times were great and other times sucked...but once you get through high school you shouldn't have to go back to it.

Crazy how certain situations bring it back. The misunderstandings, the blame, the "I hate you" attitude...yet how when you are an adult and these situations happen and you try to understand the situation, it makes no sense. You need to go back and think like a high schooler...and that's when it hits you...I have no desire to spend time with people who resort that type of behavior...and as an adult, I get to make that decision with much less backlash. Since in high school you can get black listed for this behavior and acceptance is so key...as an adult if I'm blacklisted from a group, I think that I would laugh about it.

It also helps me to understand why as we get older you have fewer friends. I happen to have great relationships with the fewer friends that I have. Those are the people I like to spend time with...and not the acquaintances that make me feel like crap...even if those acquaintances are friends with some other friends...I have the right to say, "no thanks...we'll grab coffee/lunch together alone, I'm not feeling the big group thing" and as an adult to another adult, it won't really upset anyone. If it does, again, I think I would laugh.

I still wonder how we all survived high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment